Friday, April 6, 2012

Hatsune Tasting



  Yesterday, 5 April, we went to my favorite Japanese Restaurant Hatsune for some Chief Tasting dinner. Before I get to the review part, want to say few words about the restaurant itself.
I consider myself very lucky in life and particularly for having so many interesting people around me who I do in fact consider my friends. And one of these extraordinary people is my close friend and owner of Hatsune restaurant group Alan Wong. I know him for a bit more then three years but we became close friends (there is actually La Familia, but I tell you later).This guy is great in everything. He is riding bikes, great photographer, has great taste in food and more importantly is amazing husband and father of almost two boys. (His wife Hannah is due in few weeks). He owns  five restaurants in Beijing (Hatsune GHL, Hatsune SLT, Karaiya Spice House, Kagen Teppanyaki and Kagen HotPot) and 3 restaurants in Shanghai (Haiku by Hatsune,  Kagen Teppanyaki and Kagen HotPot) And is about to open one new place in Shanghai. So on the eve of its opening he gave two dinners (for friends and for the La Familia) to present some new dishes he might consider adding to new menu.

   For the starters he presented a simple dish called Edamame, my personal favorite. It’s actually simply soya beans soaked in salted water. But this time with a twist! The La Familia was going crazy for awhile already for truffle salt, that one of our members Alice brought from US. We’ve been adding it to everything: Mac&Cheese, PopCorn,  French Fires. And I was on and on about using truffle salt for Edamame for long! Finally I got what I wanted! I am not saying that Alan-San made this dish on my account, I am just saying that I am happy)  (Oh and I apologies for the foto quality, my LED light did not arrive yet and the lightning was not good. Plus I had to make all shots without flash, otherwise they would’ve been very over exposed. )


  Next there was an Organic Salad with Yuzu Vinaigrette. Very refreshing. The souse was just perfect and well balanced with rucola and reddish.
  For the third course we had Akami & Shiro Maguro tartare, topped with green onions and quail egg.  It’s a  chopped raw super-lean tuna on top of chopped raw white tuna in a Yuzu Vinaigrette that you mix with the egg. I am not a fan of raw meat or fish, but being around Alan you kind of start understand and appreciate these kind of things. So even thou I personally didn’t like it the balance between tartare tunas and yolk was perfect as usual and dipping into the souse gave so many other taste sensations.


   Oh and here comes my personal favorite of the day Cod fish Saikyo-Yaki butter lettuce wrap with deep fried Gobo root.  Saiko-Yaki butter goes with everything! It’s buttery and sweet but a little bit sour at the same time. Its amazing with beef and chicken and even vegetables. And Cod fish is just another perfect combination. Then there is Gobo root! Oh I how I love it! So crunchy and tasty!  Gobo is a burdock root that is well used in Japanese culinary.


  Once cold food had all been eaten it’s time for something hot. And here comes the Oden Soup with Beefball Skewer. It’s very light yet reach in taste soup is great remedy between courses of food. The skewers are suppose to go into the bowl and add some meet flavor to the dish, though I skipped this step and drained my soup at onceJ


  Next we had Wintermelon  Nimono with Pumpkin and Citrus Essence. Again not a fan of “pickled” fruits and berries. But the souse was nice and creamy and the essence of flamed citron was filling the plate with such a nice aroma, that of course I took a bite.
  Oh the Melt-In-Your-Mouth Kobe Beef…..



  Alan-San made it at the side table close to us while telling us how great this soft and juicy meet is. Of course I had it so many times in Kagen Teppanyaki so it wasn’t a surprise, but to have The Chief flaming it in front of you was exiting.
  Next on the course we got Unagi &Negihama Hand Roll prepared by Alan-San … again tableside!
To be truth hand rolls are my favorite in all times so have it made by Alan himself just felt so specialJ




          

Then Alan disappeared to the kitchen again and we got served with Soft Shell Crab/Snapper/Shiso Inside Out Roll.  Nice and soft roll got eaten so fast that while I was sending a massage I had to fight for my piece! Well this is how it goes in our La Familia – “You snooze – You lose” …

   Oh and finally some desert! I am a huge fan of deserts! I never go to a new restaurant and leave without trying something sweet… But my lovely friend Alan doesn’t like them and therefore there is no desert menu in his restaurants, except Kagen HotPot, they have Mochi .
   So… what we have here?>>> Alan called it Desert One Two Punch. Fresh strawberries with condensed milk dip, Green tea mini Mochi (YAY!) and blueberry ice-cream in cookie spoon with black and white sesame. All my favorite..



   By the end of the dinner I couldn’t breath but was happily full with tasty food!

  Thank you very much Alan!

  Since this is my first post about food I just HAVE to mention that I am not a professional at this I simply have need to share. For ages I was taking pictures of my food feasts and I will post some of the best with time. But a friend of mine Kristen is the real foodie and blogger, she has better reviews on almost everything we ate together for the past  3 yearsJ) so go check her blog at LUMDIMSUM.COM

  And also since I started posting my looks I will do it occasionally now.  This time I wore everything very comfortable since it’s a family dinner and I was tired from wearing my GZ the other night.




  New Zara bag (still making myself to bring some color to my black wardrobe)  Hermes leather bracelets my favorite and most comfy knee boots by Stuart Weitzman and H&M leggings. Of course I had top inside.. it was off shoulder t-shirt from Forever21.

No comments:

Post a Comment